Lets say I have a device and the battery to be used is rated a 12V 100Ah lead-acid battery and its being charged from a from a 200W solar panel with a voltage of 15.6V. Then Unfortunately the DC Charge regulator gets damaged and the battery is charged at 15.6V, that is 3.6 V above the limits specified by the battery manufacturer. At the sunny days the charging time is approx. 8h.
The question is: what can happen to the battery,
This the probable scenario
As a result of too high a charge voltage excessive current will flow into the battery, after the battery has reached full charge. This will cause decomposition of the water in the electrolyte and premature aging. At high rates of overcharge a battery will progressively heat up. As it gets hotter it will accept more current, heating up even further. This is called thermal runaway and it can destroy a battery in as little as a few hours.
Therefore always ensure that the system voltage is standard when setting up to avoid such scenarios and to prolong the lifespan of your batteries.
LOCATE A SOLAR SHOP IN KENYA